Sunday, October 19, 2014

League Reunion

On Friday, I revisited the live league I played in during 2013. I would normally stay over at my best friend and his family's house after the two games, but they have since sold their home and moved to Denver for him to pursue a career as a church music minister.

Thankfully, one of the best players in the group has offered to put me up in his family's guest room going forward, which I am very grateful for. We are just acquaintances at this point, but share a desire to improve our games for higher stakes in non-league events like WSOPC etc. In exchange for his hospitality, I have offered to share training ideas and info. He doesn't need my help, but appreciates any shortcuts and strategy tips. 

I thought maybe since I ended the previous season 2nd place in regular points, and went on to take down the final table championship, that I might get a little more respect at the tables. But if anyone was deferring to me, I certainly didn't notice; nor did I assume the role of table boss. I mostly played solid ABC to get a feel for how the new players played, and took time to consider pot odds, ranges, and equity.

Despite playing ok, and making the FT both times, I did not make the money. Entry was $40 per tourney, so I was down $75 after taking one bounty chip for $5.

I busted in push\fold land both times (8th and 6th), and with the same hand: AJo. In the first bustout, I shoved AJo from UTG+2 with 5BB left and Chris called on my left after saying "I hope you have trash." After Sean folded, I was surprised to see C turn over deuces. Not sure I agree with the play, because he'd be in a tough spot if Sean woke up with a hand and reshoved, and I had about half Chris's stack. He held and I was out.

In the 2nd tourney, I was in the SB and down to 4.5 BB with AJo. Sean raises to 2.5 from the button, I shove without fold equity, and he calls with AQo for the win. I could have folded and saw another round of hands for free (no antes), but there were lots of hands in Sean's range there that I could improve against, since he was priced in to call with almost anything. 

So that was that. I enjoyed the first game and seeing the guys again, but as usual, the 2nd game wore on through the half-drunken states of several players, including a slow dealer who made the mistake of dealing the flop from the wrong deck once, lol. 

An interesting thing happened after Charlie and Kev busted out though. Kev started talking about an overnight trip to New Orleans to gamble and party. Then out of the blue, he offers Charlie a first class plane ticket. Charlie couldn't tell if he was serious, but another player confirmed that he was. Kev then offered to give Charlie $1000 to gamble with, if he would go along on the trip.

It was an offer Charlie couldn't refuse, so he called the wife and she said Ok. Although, like me, he also didn't place in the money that night, with the $1500 first class plane fare and $1000, he ended up the biggest winner by far! Hopefully Kev doesn't regret the generosity, and that the trip was a fun one for both of them.

I'm still debating on whether to rejoin the league in 2015, as I played as a visiting non-member Friday. It's important to remember that the real value in the league is not in winning any one of what are essentially back to back turbos. The value is in making the final table championship with enough chips (stacks are point-dependent) to take down a share of player dues. First place usually gets $1500+ if there is no chop.

That's pretty good value, and decent live experience.  







No comments:

Post a Comment