Thursday, August 29, 2013

Amarillo Slim Quotes

Picked up Amarillo Slim's memoirs at a used book store in town, and thought I'd add some quotes here as I read:


"You see, neighbor, I never go looking for a sucker; I look for a champion and make a sucker out of him."

"I was tall and skinny, and I could run like the wind-- a skill that would come in handy when I was old enough to bet."

"Part of the hustle may be pretending not to be smart, but behind every gambler is a razor-sharp mind."

"The easiest person in the world to hustle is a hustler..."

"I like to bet on anything-- as long as the odds are in my favor."

"The [Peabody] school offered the one tool that would be the most influential element in my education: a snooker table in the student-services building."

"When I was a kid, I had to get out of the bathtub before they pulled the plug."

"Smart-ass, popping-off skinny sonofabitch is how I would have described myself."

"Heck, while I should have been studying poetry at Peabody Academy, I was writing my own poetry on their snooker table."




No comments:

Post a Comment