Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Good Natural Medicine for GERD

I have suffered with GERD (acid reflux) for 10-12 years now, and eventually started taking 40mg of Nexium per day. It generally works to treat the symptoms, but not always, so I've been searching for a better solution; the long term side effects of Nexium worry me.

Aloe is good for burns, so I bought some aloe vera juice distributed by Fruit of the Earth, and sold at Walmart. By itself, it has too much citrus for my taste, so I dilute it with water and it makes for a soothing drink for heartburn sufferers. Still, it wasn't going to get me off the meds.

Then a friend introduced me to Young Living Essential Oils, and had me try a drop of peppermint oil in water.  I was skeptical, but woke up the next few days without the usual morning burn, so I purchased some myself to try a longer term test.

After a month, I have found that a drop of therapeutic grade peppermint oil along with Fruit of the Earth aloe juice and water is helping tremendously, and I have been able to step down from 40mg of generic Nexium to 20mg, and hope to taper off completely. I use a stainless steel thermos and put the drop of peppermint in first, then the aloe juice and water, with a good shake.

The cool thing about using the thermos is you get residual oil that keeps the peppermint flavor going. Give it a try if you suffer from GERD.

No comments:

Post a Comment